Contest Categories for 2014
The MARC Board of Directors has selected the following contest categories. MARC encourages each EXTRAVAGANZA attendee to place at least one entry in the contest. MARC would also like to encourage members to place an entry in as many categories as possible to help continue the success of our outstanding contest.
- Zenith, the early years: A chance to share your Zenith set made prior to 1932.
- Zenith, the golden years: Show a Zenith made in the years 1932 through 1942.
- Zenith, the post war years: Display your Zenith made in the years from 1945 to the present.
- Competing Radios: A chance to show off your (non-Zenith) tube radio or crystal set (including homebrew) made prior to 1943.
- Mid-Century Modern: Exhibit your radio or other electronic device made after the end of WW II.
- High Fidelity: Show off your receiver, amplifier, tuner, turntable or other audio device of any era.
- Instruments: Display a piece of test equipment or other scientific instrument of any era.
- Speakers: This category includes speakers of any era from early to the present.
- The Open: Any radio, television, electronics or related item of any era or manufacturer.
- Best of Show
- People’s Choice
- Best Restoration
- Chairman’s Trophy
- General Awards
Best of Show
The Everitt “Abe” Lincoln Best of Show Trophy will be awarded to the best overall contest entry as determined by the judges.
The Antique Electronic Supply People’s Choice Trophy will be awarded to the entry receiving the most show attendee votes.
The Chris Haedt Best Restoration Trophy will be awarded to the item entered in the contest (in any of the contest categories) that represents the finest restoration as determined by the judges. Photo documentation of the restoration is required for any entry to be eligible for this award.
The Chairman’s Trophy will be awarded to the contest entry with the greatest historical, marketing, or technical significance as determined by the Equipment Contest Chairman with the consensus of the judges.
The contest judges will award first place trophies along with second and third place ribbons within each contest category.